Resource with a Purpose

Money is, has always been, and always will be a hot topic.  In fact, while I don’t know the number of times money is discussed in Scripture, I do know that Jesus talked more about money than He taught about heaven and hell combined.  Money is mentioned at least 100 times through Scripture, if not more.  I feel as though many Christ followers shy away from talking about money because “the love of money is the root of all evil” (I Timothy 6:10).  Far too often, however, we read that verse to say that “money is evil”, and leave out some necessary qualifiers.

The thing is, money is not evil.  Can money cause evil, both by its influences on people and its effect in our own lives?  Absolutely.  But money can also cause good and the furtherance of God’s Kingdom, full of love and grace.  Money management is crucial, especially in this day and age, and especially in the life of a believer.  I don’t simply mean whether or not you’re giving back 10% of your resources, but money management in its entirety.

I remember hearing when I was growing up that you could tell a lot about a person based on where they spent their money.  I never gave too much thought about it, except for the extreme cases, such as those who spend all their money on drugs, the lottery, etc.  The fact of the matter is that you can tell a lot about a person based on how their spend their money.  And 10% isn’t enough to tell whether or not you’re honoring God with your resources.  The other 90% is just as important!

I’m not going to tell you how to spend or save your money today, though there are plenty of sound Christian resources out there to help with that (i.e. Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey).  I write today to simply ask you to evaluate how you use the resources God gave you.

Living in 2012 America can be very difficult to use our money wisely and in such a way that honors God.  I have always been adamant about tithing based on Scripture’s command.  I have also always had a desire to save my money and remain debt free.  But that doesn’t make it easy to honor God with my resources.  And I would even say that I have failed at doing so at times.  I have sacrificed saving for ChickfilA and ice cream, for instance.. many times!

Upon some self thought this past weekend, I came to the realization that Jason and I haven’t been as wise or God-focused with our resources as we had hoped.  While our desire has been to bless others (including our future children by saving), our focus has been more on our current quality of life and quite self-focused.  I know that we have made it on much less financially, yet we are not saving now in proportion to the resources we have.

I ask you today to step back and really analyze where you’re at.  Are your resources devoted to living well?  Are they devoted to serving others in your sphere of influence?  Are they devoted  saving and growing more resources with the future in mind?  Are you seeking the American Dream or God’s dream for your life?  Let’s not hoard our resources for ourselves, filling our lives with things that lack purpose.  Rather, let’s take control of our resources and use them to bless the church, serve others, and establish security for our families for generations to come!

-Alicia

Have any practical ways to be frugal or honor God better with your money?  Please take the time to comment below.

Advertisements

About onebeatblog

Our purpose is to equip, empower, and encourage those involved in student ministry!

Posted on May 24, 2012, in Christian Living, Cultural Issues and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: